Best Glucometer in India
Glucometer or glucose meter is a blood glucose monitoring device. It is a home-based measurement solution for diabetics. With a glucometer, diabetics can keep an eye on their blood sugar levels and thus they can take an appropriate insulin dose.
How far are glucometer readings reliable?
Mostly, glucometers are reliable and their readings are accurate. But occasionally, the readings may not be accurate.
If the glucometer readings deviate about 15-20 percent from the lab readings, then they are generally considered accurate. For example if your lab reading is 120 mg/dL, then your glucometer may vary in-between 100 mg/dL and 140 mg/dL.
This difference is because of several factors like blood glucose level fluctuates (blood glucose levels are raised after meals and it lowers down after exercise) all along the day, and the amount of blood glucose present in different fingers is different.
In addition to the above factors, the following factors may also be responsible for the inaccurate glucometer readings.
- The test strips may be expired or their efficiency may be affected by extreme conditions, like high temperatures.
- Your body site from where the blood sample is to be taken, might not be properly cleaned.
- The required amount of blood may not be applied to the test strip.
- The test strip may not be properly inserted in the glucometer.
- Finally, if you are dehydrated or having low red blood cells, then the accuracy of your test results will also be affected.
Why glucometer reading is high?
Often, glucometer reading is comparatively higher than the lab reading. The reason is that in a laboratory, blood from of veins is examined while in glucometer; capillary blood from fingers is tested.
Capillary blood (capillary blood contains 20-30 percent more glucose than venous blood) is richer in glucose as compared to venous blood so readings of glucometer are higher.
To get an accurate reading of your sugar level, always take your glucometer to the laboratory and after immediate lab test, conduct your glucometer test. Compare both the results and note down the difference.
Then afterward always keep the average difference while conducting glucometer test at home.
Glucometers are the best home-based solution to manage diabetes. Many brands manufacture glucometers and varieties of these devices are available in the market. Below is the list of best selling glucometers in India.
2. Dr Trust (USA) Fully Automatic Blood Sugar Testing Glucometer Machine
- GDH-FAD Strip: Glucometer avoids interference from blood oxygen variations; it also prevents galactose and maltose interference in blood samples. The sample from arteries, veins, and capillaries can be used to apply GDH-FAD strip
- Ketone Alert: Dr Trust (USA) Glucometer gives an early warning if your ketones are rising or are out of balance in your blood, it will reduce the incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA by knowing that your ketones level reaches over15 mol/L
- 3 Modes: General mode, take blood glucose measurements at any point of the day, AC mode, take the measurements in the early morning on an empty stomach, If you want to take the readings after taking your meals, switch to PC mode
- Strip Ejection Button Function: Dr Trust Glucometer monitor comes with the Strip Ejection Button feature which minimizes the risk of contagion, by simply on a push of Strip Ejection Button, used strips disposed without touching the hand
- Unique Features: Dr Trust (USA) Glucometer machine has a unique feature of smiley indicator, the result is displayed along with face symbols within 5 seconds, a happy smiley indicates good results and a sad smiley indicates unsatisfactory results
- Fully Automatic: Auto electrode insertion detection, sample loading detection, reaction time count-down, switch-off after 3 minutes without action and Temperature Warning
- Reminder Alarm Function: Also it allows the user to set an alarm as a reminder for taking the measurements
3. Accu-Chek Instant S Glucometer with Free Test Strips
- Visual reassurance with target range indicator: An intuitive target range indicator that gives you visual reassurance and also lets you individualize it to suit your personal goals.
- A clutter-free screen: The meter only displays that which is relevant, easy to understand information. Your test results and your averages (7/30/90 days) are visible on the meter.
- Accurate* blood glucose measurement: The Accu-Chek Instant meter is one of the most accurate systems and it fulfills ISO 15197:2013
- Standards of accuracy.
- Easy-Edge test strips: Accu-Chek Instant S easy-edge test strip has the largest dosing window of any major blood glucose test strip. It can be dosed anywhere along the edge and automatically absorbs the blood from the patient’s finger.
- No set-up required: Just insert a strip, apply a small blood sample and read your blood glucose results instantly on the large display.
7. ContourPlus Blood Glucose Monitoring System Glucometer
- Meets ISO 15197: 2013 accuracy requirements: 95 percent of glucose readings within 15 percent (or +/- 15 mg/dl) of lab reference
- Fast and easy-to-read results (5-seconds countdown)
- Underfill detection plus second-chance sampling (30 sec) and sip-in sampling
- No coding technology eliminates errors due to miscoding
- Small blood sample required - 0.6 µl
- Can be used with capillary or venous whole blood
- Analytical accuracy range: 10-600 mg/dl
8. Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit, Vial of 10 strips free
- Accurate blood glucose measurement: The Accu-Chek Active Glucometer is one of the most accurate systems
- Easy to use: Accu-Chek Active blood glucose meter packs many powerful features into a smaller size, making the blood glucose monitoring process easy.
- No coding required: Accu-Chek Active blood glucose meter is easy to use as it doesn’t require any code chip for coding the meter.
- Two-button intuitive handling: With only two buttons to operate, Accu-Chek Active is an easy-to-handle device.
- Visual double-check: To ensure accurate* blood glucose measurement, Accu-Chek Active allows you to double-check the displayed result. Match color code to assure results accuracy.
- 8 seconds re-dose option: If you apply an insufficient amount of blood, then the device gives you approximately 10 seconds window to re-dose it
What is the best glucometer to buy in India?
The above list glucometers are the best selling but however, Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit, Vial of 10 strips is the best glucometer to buy in India.
The glucometer is manufactured by ‘Roche Diabetes Care India’. Roche Diabetes Care India dominated the Indian market in glucometer manufacturing and it roughly holds about fifty percent of the market share.
Why ‘Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit, Vial of 10 strips’ is the best glucometer to buy in India?
Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit is best selling glucometer due to its exciting features. It is the most accurate glucose meter.
Its lightweight (50 grams) and small size make it easy to handle. It is also quick in results and after only five seconds, you will get your glucose readings.
Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit is a smart device, that tells you to take an exact insulin dose as per your blood sugar level. A very minute amount of blood is required for testing (blood sample range of the device is 1-2 microlitres).
It has an easy to read screen and large buttons. Another interesting feature is its huge storage capacity- it can store up to 500 test results and it can retain test data for about three months, so you can keep a track of your blood glucose levels. You can also transfer data to your PC for future use.
This glucometer is very affordable. The whole pack cost about 1450 Indian Rupees only. The pack comprises of glucometer monitor, ten Accu-Chek strips, a soft-clix lancing device, and ten pieces of sterile lancets.
The only disadvantage of Accu-Chek is its expensive test strips. You can avoid this extra cost by buying strips in the bulk. Also, extreme environmental conditions can affect its efficiency so you have to take a little extra care of the device.